Monday, September 26, 2011

And We Ran....

Yesterday was a day that shall remain etched in my mind's eye forever. I had the pleasure and privilege of participating in the Tunnel to Towers Run for the second consecutive year. The weather forecast as late as 11:00 p.m. Saturday night put the likelihood of rain at 70%. We all learned Sunday morning that Mother Nature is too damn smart to spit in the eye of the Siller family. Not only did it not rain but the sun shone down brightly on us as we lined up to start in Red Hook, Brooklyn as well as when we emerged from the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel into Lower Manhattan.

While I presume there are those who can put the emotions of the day adequately into words, that ability is beyond a man of limited means such as Yours truly. If it is true that one picture's value is equal to one thousand words, then permit me to shut up....










A simply extraordinary day. In the company of extraordinary men and women. We'll talk again tomorrow....

-AK

2 comments:

The Omnipotent Q said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Adam. I had a wonderful run. Really enjoyed the atmosphere of 30,000 runners and being part of something special. I ran with my late friend Joyce's picture attached to my shirt, as she was lost in the WTC. High-fiving with the firemen and leading cheers with some cheerleaders as I ran by were two highlights. Glad you enjoyed it, too!

Adam Kenny said...

Q,

You hit on it perfectly. The thing I have taken from this the past two years is the incredible feeling of being part of something special. It is impossible to come away from this event not feeling good about the people you meet and the manner in which they live their lives day in/day out.

I am already looking forward to 09/30/12.