Monday, August 15, 2011

Where Fortunes Are Told

Every town at the Shore - or so it seems - has at least one road race (5K or greater)during the Spring and/or Summer. Both this summer and last I have participated in a number of them. Most of them - at least the ones I have run in - feature routes that are carved out through the town's residential areas on streets lined with residents standing on front lawns and sidewalks, cheering and offering support to those of us participating in the race.

This past Saturday - on what was simply a beautiful day at the Shore - I ran in Asbury Park. Last August in Asbury Park I ran what was at the time my fastest ever 5K time. Better than the result was the experience. In Asbury Park, the course is not one that takes the runners through the town's neighborhoods. Instead it is a course that takes the runners through the town's colorful, cultural history. The course strays not too far at all from Asbury Park's famous boardwalk - only venturing perhaps four blocks inland. One of the nice things about running along the Shore on a summer's morning is it affords one the opportunity to take in views such as this sunrise:


The Asbury Park 5K takes the field past such attractions as The Stone Pony and The Wonder Bar. It is a two-loop race. The second loop winds up on the Boardwalk. You finish with the ocean on your right and Convention Hall rising in front of you


I did not run my best 5K on Saturday. My time was considerably short of spectacular. But the day was pitch perfect. A summer's Saturday morning at the Shore with my best girl is about as good as it gets for me:


See you next August Madam Marie. Thanks again for the hospitality.

-AK




No comments: