Monday, August 1, 2011

What's The "M" Stand For?

I heard you on the wireless back in fifty two.

And with those words, a phenomenon was launched. But for The Buggles, we might never have known Snooki. MTV is thirty years old today. As a fourteen-year-old kid living beyond the edge of nowhere in Neshanic Station, I do not think I either saw or heard anything about it until September - when the new school year started. In Neshanic Station circa 1981, cable television was merely a rumor.

Perhaps because I caught the MTV buzz later than my friends, it never quite resonated with me. Perhaps it was because I could not stand the music that accompanied the music bands such as The Buggles and Duran Duran made. Perhaps it was because music I enjoy has always been accompanied by a video in my mind's eye. My take on what I think should go along with the words. Far more often than not the "official video" for the song was not simply different from that which I had created myself, the two bore no resemblance whatsoever to one another. Having a rather inflated sense of self-importance I of course preferred my vision to anyone else's.

I have not watched MTV in years. I know not whether music videos are actually shown on the network any longer. Once upon a time thirty years ago, people proclaimed, "I Want My MTV!" Do they still? If the popularity of Jersey Shore is any indication, I suppose the answer to that question is, "Yes."

Is that a good thing? The first thrirty years of MTV did not bring about the end of the world as we know it....

....and it did introduce us to Courtney Cox. Not a bad spark. Not at all.

-AK

No comments: