Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Million Miles Clocked Up By Our Vagabond Heels

I spent eight days post-marathon babying my creaky joints.  I ran not one step after Sunday May 1st until I laced up my running shoes and went for a little 3.5 mile jaunt through the 'hood in the wee small hours of Monday morning.  It was actually odd just going out for a run.  Every step I had run between January 1 and May 1 was either training for or participating in the New Jersey Marathon.  Yesterday morning?  I just went for a run.  Felt pretty good too. 

Everyone needs something or someplace that is uniquely and selfishly their own.  While being selfish to the detriment of others is not necessarily a good thing, being a little bit selfish is a wonderful thing.  It is an impossiblity of logic that one can be so selfless as to sustain all others above her or himself and still manage to have enough left in one's own tank to keep one's self going.  If you cannot sustain yourself, then everything else falls by the wayside.  It has to.  There is nothing nefarious about it.  It is simply logical. 

In the time since I took it up, running has become that thing for me.  I run in races time and again so I can measure myself against other people, whether they are people who are my same age, gender, or whatever.  But principally, I run for me.  In the twenty-six minutes or so it took me to stumble and bumble my way through 3.5 miles in the darkness yesterday morning, I felt not only energized but also at peace.  Running is not relaxing but it is very much a soothing experience - for me anyway. 

Regardless of what it is you do, where you live or who you are, I firmly believe that there has to be a little piece of your soul and of your heart that is exclusively yours.  A part of you that you keep at arm's length from the rest of the world, not because you do not love those who you love but because you recognize the importance of taking care of yourself as being foremost among all of the things you have to do on a day in, day out basis.  It is what allows you to turn your attention outward to those who you love and who may need you. 

Running through the darkened streets of Tiny Town yesterday morning I heard the "woosh" of some stuff that had been cluttering my head and dulling my focus just disappearing 'neath my footsteps.  Whatever it is that does that for you, do not deprive yourself of it.  Do not eschew it.  Embrace it.

A million miles of vagabond sky
Clocked up above the clouds
I'm still your man for the roaming
For as long as there's roamin' allowed

-AK

No comments: