Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Day For Sweating Out On The Street

Today is THE day (Schiff that is admittedly at least the 3rd or 4th most inane use of the word THE in the English language).  This morning at some time close to 8:00 a.m. along the Boardwalk in Long Branch, Gidg and I will each begin our 26.2 mile trek.  My hope is that I make my way back to the Long Branch Boardwalk and take my final step across the "FINISH" line not more than four hours after I take my first step that carries me across the "START" line.  It is my present intention to do this today, cross it off of my "bucket list" and never do it again.  My only self-created caveat?  If I fail to complete the Marathon in four hours or less, then I will sign up for a second one at some point in time and try again.

There will be no place along the course from which I can see my office in Parsippany.  I cannot therefore see the words of George S. Patton, which i have taped to my desk, which words I look at daily for motivation.  "Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing.  You have to make the mind run the body.  Never let the body tell the mind what to do.  The body will always give up.  It is always tired in the morning, noon and at night.  But the body is not tired if the mind is not tired." 

I intend today to honor the words of General Patton and make my mind run my body.  Considering that my body has to run 26.2 miles, placing my mind in control of it seems to be a pretty sound idea.  And I hope today to honor the words of Dr. Seuss as well.  "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

Two years ago this undertaking would have been impossible.  A year ago I would have thought it improbable.  This morning, I am actually looking forward to it. I hope that Gidg is too.  I know she is 100% prepared for it....even if she does not realize it herself.  I am well prepared and I am as well-prepared as I can be for it.  All that remains to be completed is the race itself. 

A minor detail; right?  For us tramps, indeed it is. 

-AK

No comments: