Monday, May 2, 2011

A Beautiful Day

Yesterday was a glorious day to run.  And run is what Gidg and I did.  Along with too many people to count, we made our maiden voyage in the New Jersey Marathon.  Gidg finished with a time about twelve minutes faster than she had hoped to, crossing the finish line in 4 hours and 48 minutes. Me?  I tanked more than a bit.  My hope - no my plan - was to complete the Marathon in four hours.  I failed by a considerable margin.  I finished in 4 hours and 27 minutes.

The feeling of crossing the finish line at the completion of 26.2 miles was one - to sound more than a bit corny - of one of accomplishment.  Candidly the feeling of crossing in almost one half hour longer than I had hoped it would take me to complete it was a feeling of profound disappointment.  My preparation was good, both in terms of my training and my pre-race plan of attack.  During the race, I helped myself to water and to Gatorade at every fluid station (one every two miles), ate bananas throughout the race and took my GU on regular intervals.  For whatever reason, at or about the 16-mile mark I began suffering incredible cramps in both legs, almost directly behind my knees.  For a period of perhaps six miles I alternated between running and "fast walking" in 30 second increments.  By the time I reached Mile 22 and my cramps had basically gone away so had my chance of finishing in four hours.

A terrific experience.  Margaret was there at the finish line looking quite relieved to see first me and then Gidg when we crossed.  The Family Kizis was out in full force with Lynne, Laura, B-O-B, Aunt Gloria and two of Laura's kids all there rooting us on. Having failed in my effort to complete the race in four hours, I will have to at some point broach the issue with the Missus of trying again, whether on May 6, 2012 at the 2012 New Jersey Marathon or at some other marathon. 

Thanks to one and all for the support both pre-race and the good words post-race.  They were received from a number of sources, both family and friends.  Among the words of support I received was a laugh out loud message from my old pal Eric.  On Saturday, Schiff sent me a message that I am sharing below because he told me I could and it is simply too good not to share.

Ok, screw it…. Since you provide me with some humor on many a morning…. Here come the clichés:


Let’s start in the music category:

On your way down the shore, you may feel like Tom Petty: “Running Down a Dream”

While you are one of the many hundreds waiting to start the race, be like the Boss “Born to Run”

Around mile marker 11.5 when you may feel the urge to relieve yourself, you may feel like Don Henley or John Fogerty: “Running down the Road trying to loosen my load, I’ve got 7 women on my mind” (Eagles Take It Easy)

If you find yourself being chased by a crazy/runner stalker type person, be like Jon Bon Jovi: just “Runaway”

I have a feeling that around mile 24.5 you may feel like Jackson Browne:

Running on, running on empty
Running on, running blind
Running on, running into the sun
But I'm running behind

When you finally finish the race, you can be like John Popper and Blues-Travelers and “Run Around”

That ends the musical portion of the race….

Now playing at a theater near you….
Tom Hanks in Forest Gump: “Run Forest Run” - too easy
Bill Murray in Meatballs:
Tripper: I'm takin' the C.I.T.s on an overnight for the next couple days so you're gonna have to do your own training, son. I want you to run two miles today and two and a half tomorrow.

Rudy: I've never run that far.

Tripper: Neither have I but somebody's gotta do it. I can't be expected to do it. Somebody's gotta do it, and it can't be me. Because I'm too busy. I've responsibilities. I'm the entertainment director for the camp."

For the attorney in you:

Richard Dawson in the Running Man: Damon Killian: Hello, this is Killian. Give me the Justice Department, Entertainment Division.

Billy Crystal in Running Scared: Danny Costanzo: Hablo, Smith and Wesson? You have the right to remain *dead*. Anything you do will be used against you. You have the right to a *coroner*. If you cannot afford one, we will appoint a medical examiner for you.

And summing up in the immortal word of Yogi.. (these qualify for running a race):

When you come to a fork in the road, take it
If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else."

Just have these thoughts run through your head while your running
Great stuff Schiff.  Thanks for the good thoughts.  I feel a bit badly about the fact that on race day I was not the equal of everyone's best efforts.  Maybe next time.  Next time?  We shall see.

-AK

No comments: