Monday, March 14, 2011

Lessons Learned

It was a bit chillier than I had expected it to be yesterday morning in Asbury Park. I ran - as did Gidg - in a half-marathon set up by the New Jersey Road Runners Club, which organization is (I think) the one that organizes the New Jersey Marathon (a/k/a "my date with death"). In spite of the mercury not reaching the heights that I had expected it would (an expectation shared not at all by the majority of the several hundred other participants given the number of folks other than me wearing sleeveless shirts and shorts (I will give you a hint - the number rhymes with "hero"), it turned out to be quite a pleasant morning.

I have spent most of this winter running inside on a treadmill. It was nice yesterday morning to get out in the company of others and run. It was actually nice to feel the wind in my face - although in the interests of full disclosure when it was blasting me pretty good at or about the 11 mile mark - the words I was saying only half under my breath were not bon mots.

The best part of the morning was that it served its purpose. My goal/delusion is to be able to complete the New Jersey Marathon in less than four hours. Yesterday, my goal was to run the half marathon in something less than two hours - and to average 8:40 miles in the process. I actually did better than I had hoped to do. I completed the race in 1:50:47 and in doing so averaged better than 8:40 per mile. Best of all, when I reached the finish line while my legs were sore and I was tired, I was not tapped. I had plenty of fuel in the tank. And with fuel now upwards of $3.50 a gallon - just for regular - having a reserve on hand is not insignificant.

Whether running 13.1 miles at that pace in March will translate into being able to run 26.2 miles at that pace on May 1 I know not. I shall find out the answer to that question soon enough. But at least on March 13, I did not learn anything that would make me think that the answer to that question is, "No."

And for present purposes, a "maybe" is good enough.

-AK

No comments: