Thursday, December 2, 2010

What Does The Owner of the Thunder-akah Celebrate?

Today is - at least according to my desk calendar and one or more websites that I consulted - the first full day of Hanukkah. I hope that everyone who celebrates it has a joyous and happy Hanukkah. I smile still when I think back to my days of old as a member of the chorus at W-H. Every year the "Holiday" Concert (the prep school crowd was PC before there was "PC") included both Christmas carols and Hanukkah songs. Every once and again at this time of year I find myself breaking into, "Dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, I make it out of clay. And when it's dry and ready with dreidel I will play!" I try to limit my spontaneous Hanukkah caroling to this time of year - because in the Spring or Summer it would simply seem inappropriate. I elicit enough quizzical glances already without getting caught singing the Dreidel song (sans musical accompaniment) while sitting in traffic in mid-July.

From where I sit, Adam Sandler has a somewhat alarming tendency to take a good idea and choke the living bejeebers out of it (as evidenced by essentially every movie he has made that does not feature either Drew Barrymore or Don Cheadle). Given the amount of money he has earned for himself honing his pony's one trick to a fine point - and that he has kept friends such as Rob Schneider off of the public dole - methinks that my (first) namesake gives not one rat's a** about the view from here. Nor should he. The Hannukah Song well was one he did not need to plumb on (at least at last count) three separate occasions. One evening's viewing of Multiplicity likely would have been enough to warn him of the dangers associated with repeated replication.

Regardless of at least one person's point of view on the diminishing returns associated with its sequels, Sandler's original Hanukkah Song remains one of my favorite contemporary holiday tunes (shoot me - I am also a sucker for "Christmas Wrapping" by The Waitresses). Based upon everything I have ever read about him, Sandler is an avid sports fan - including NBA basketball. I presume therefore that he knows that the Seattle Super Sonics no longer exist and that when they faded into the dusty pages of history (actually they simply traveled the dusty roads to Oklahoma City but allow me a bit of poetic license if you would) the man who had been identified as a Hanukkah celebrant in Sandler's song no longer owned the team. Should the fact that there has not been yet another sequel - ostensibly to correct and update this particular piece of information found in the original classic - be taken as a sign or even as I selfishly do: a gift from one Adam to another? It might merely be the calm before he unleashes a storm of unnecessary sequels upon us.

Either way, it is harmonica-grabbing time.....

....Happy Hanukkah.

-AK

No comments: