Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Grip On Moments Passing By

If there was any doubt before Boxing Day, then the "Blizzard of 2010" effectively ended the discussion (at least in my neck of the woods) as to the length of December - and for that matter as to the length of the year for which it provides the final act. Is there still reason to believe? Man I hope so. Absent it, there seems not to be much reason to marry feet to floor in the morning's wee small hours.

2010 will assume its rightful place in the rear-view mirror less than forty-eight hours from now. Once it does, neither we nor it shall ever pass this way again. While the evaluation of events in the immediate aftermath of their occurrence is usually pretty dicey business - given the relationship between familiarity and contempt and as juxtaposed against the relationship between time and perspective - it certainly appears to me as if this particular year was a mixed bag. Much like those that came before it. And I presume much like the one that shall arrive on Saturday. And the one to follow that one as well.

History exists in the mind of the teller, which is fascinating if for no other reason than to consider the proliferation of "Ten Best" and "Ten Worst" lists that either have already been released or shall be between now and 2010's dying breath on Friday. We are a nation of lists - or so it seems - this time of the year - ranking everything we love and everything we loathe, from movies to music, from novels to news stories. We go to incredible lengths to list, classify and categorize the trivial. Perhaps because it keeps us from devoting time and attention to those things that need it. Avoidance is the elixir of the masses; right? Do not misunderstand. I do not utter those words from high atop my soapbox but rather after swallowing my allotted portion of the elixir.

This year has been - as it seems all of them turn out to be - one in which euphoria and despair engaged in a foot race that lasted from first minute of the year to its last with neither having yet broken the tape. The race shall spill over into 2011 and if we are here at this time next year then it shall do likewise into 2012. It seems to me - in my life anyway - that one never breaks completely free of the other. There are times when one might seem tantalizingly far ahead but almost as soon as I recognize that to be the case, it is no longer. Truth be told, I only pay particular attention to the brevity associated with euphoria. When despair arrives at my doorstep, I certainly do all I can to hasten its departure. As I am confident you do as well. Over the course of the past twelve months there were times when my execution did not always equal my effort in that regard. Bad news lingered on the doorstep longer than I would have preferred.

And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
Maybe this year will be better than the last
I can't remember all the times I tried to tell myself
To hold on to these moments as they pass.

We all choose our own resolution. I have chosen mine. I hope you choose well....

....and wisely.

No comments: