Saturday, November 20, 2010

Tie Knotting & Turkey Trotting

I presume by now you have seen the news as I have regarding the pending nuptials of Prince William and Kate Middleton. I am about the least culturally aware person I know so as a good rule of thumb, I presume that if something has actually popped into my mind's eye it has previously done so for the rest of the world. It must be nice to be the father of a bride who marries into a royal family. I presume (and perhaps I should not) that it permits Daddy Dearest to get off of the hook for paying for the shindig. Right? It should anyway. It also strikes me as unusual that when your daughter grows up to marry a Prince, there is no debate as to whose name she takes. She simply loses a last name together. Add a title, lose a surname. Not a bad gig if you can get it I reckon.

Young William - who is really not too terribly young (both he and Kate are 28 - I think) - has demonstrated some interesting style thus far - at least as seen through the prism of my admittedly nowhere near rose-colored glasses - in terms of the planning of this event. Apparently the two are going to be married at some point in 2011. Perhaps since he has selected the 30th anniversary of the year in which his parents tied the knot, he can persuade Kate to exchange vows on what would have been their 30th wedding anniversary......had they not imploded well short of reaching the halfway point. While I understand the whole maternal devotion thing and how much William loves and misses his mother - Princess Diana, is it just me or does anyone else think that giving the engagement ring that his father gave to his mother is NOT the best way to say, "You and Me Forever!" to his beloved?

While Will and Kate are spending their Saturday celebrating their "newly engaged" status, several thousand of us are descending upon the streets of Manasquan for the Twenty-Eighth Annual Turkey Trot. This is only the second annual one of these events for me and once again this year I will share the streets of 'Squan with the aunt/niece dynamic duo of Gidg and Liv. I think that this year we have recruited one of our younger members of Sue's Crew - Ryan - to run as well. I mean not to jinx us but if the weather holds we could end up this year as we did last year with a simply gorgeous late November Saturday on which to run. Not too hot, not too cold, not too windy. It is as if Goldilocks went to school to study meteorology.

Manasquan is among my favorite places to run. First, much like the top of my head it is pancake flat. I enjoy running in any town where a curb constitutes a significant change in elevation. Second, it always seems to me whenever I race in Manasquan that everyone in the town is located in one of two places during the race: on the road running with me or on the side of the road cheering on the runners as we pass. Last year, between the third and fourth mile (we turkeys trot for five miles) there was an impromptu relief station set up in front of one home presumably by the people who lived there where a runner - if he or she stopped - was rewarded not with ice cold water or Gatorade but with freshly poured beer....and a hearty salute from those manning the station before he or she continued onward to the finish line.

After the race ends, in all likelihood the entire race-day population of the town (including interlopers like the Missus and me) will migrate to one of Manasquan's local watering holes to imbibe a few adult-like beverages and regale one another with stories of our epic achievement. At least the first half of that sentence is true. All things considered, it is a hell of a nice way to spend a Saturday and coming as it does at the start of the weekend that leads into the week that leads to Thanksgiving, it is a truly cool kickoff to the Turkey Day festivities....

....and a damn sight easier than planning a royal wedding.

-AK

No comments: