Monday, October 25, 2010

A Viking Funeral

Heard an oddly sad piece of news last evening. Affected me more than I would have anticipated. Both of my kids graduated from the local Catholic elementary school here 'NTSG. Truth be told I have not been in the building since Rob graduated 8th grade in 2000. Yet, there will always be a little part of me there. I spent more than my share of Saturdays as the Dad-in-charge of the scorer's table during basketball season sitting atop the radiator in the gym. I still have the cramps in my ass to prove it.

When Rob was in the Boy Scouts his Eagle Scout project was a fairly extensive landscaping project that we undertook in two of the grassy medians in the school parking lot. Although we did the work close to ten years ago, it still looks damn good. For two non-landscapers we did pretty nice work. We planted trees and shrubs of varying species and sizes utilizing very limited assistance - Rob's #1 pal Danny worked with us both days - but got our task completed on-time and on-budget. A short while after we completed our work, Rob passed muster at the Eagle Scout Review Board and earned his final rank.

I do not drive down Drake Avenue very often these days, which is where Our Lady of Mount Virgin School is located. So, I do not even see my kids' Alma mater from the outside on anything more than an occasional basis. Yet I was saddened to read that the Diocese of Metuchen shall be closing OLMV at the end of this school year. It is but one of three Catholic elementary schools in the area that is being closed and consolidated into the Catholic elementary school presently known as Sacred Heart that is located about fifteen minutes away in South Plainfield.

The closing of a school is sad. The closing of a school where your kids grew up is especially so. It is as if a chapter of their lives - and of your life - is being closed forever. And regardless of why it is being done or whether there is something that could have been done to prevent it matters not once the decision is made.

For a lot of years, for a lot of families OLMV has been a little school that could. Sadly, when this school year ends, it will mark the end of an era. It may be true that all good things must come to an end. Knowing that does not make it any less said when in fact they do.

-AK

No comments: