Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Kindergarten Cop

Yesterday was an extremely long, ultimately unproductive day on the trial front. We spent the entire day taking another run at resolving the case without having to commit lots of time and almost as many resources to trying it. At 5:00 p.m., those of us involved in the case left the courthouse and went our separate ways. The nice thing about leaving the courthouse at 5:00 o'clock in the afternoon is that it made it very easy to locate my car. It was one of four or five still parked there.

It was not a total loss of a day however. One of the other attorneys in the case took a "time out" in the middle of the day (late morning) to meet his wife and his little girl at the latter's first day of kindergarten. On a day when the five attorneys involved agreed on little else, all of us agreed that it was more important that Andy be there than be with us trying to negotiate an end to our matter. The judge excused him and off he went.

He was probably not gone for more than 90 minutes. When he came back he was grinning from ear-to-ear. His daughter is his only child. While he did not bring them back with him, he told us that his wife had taken countless pictures of their little girl as she lined up for the first time with her new classmates. Andy told us that she was all smiles. He did not say whether he or his wife told her how many days after this one stand between her and the completion of her schooling years. That is a conversation for another day apparently.

Yesterday was not a successful day from a work perspective. The 800 pound gorilla in the room - the unresolved case - shall be this morning where it was yesterday morning, which is staring all of us squarely in the face. From a human perspective though it was a hell of a day. It is nice to be reminded - even when you think as a lawyer that the case you are immersed in is the most important thing in the world - that 10 times out of 10 the real world trumps it.

It certainly did yesterday.


No comments: