Friday, September 10, 2010

The Fall Guy

The calendar indicates that fall will not arrive for another couple of weeks (on Bruce Springsteen's birthday by the way). You could not tell that though by the temperature. Admittedly I have been a bit more wrapped up in my own world this week than even I usually am (trial does that to me). Nevertheless I could swear that when I left the courthouse in Hackensack at day's end on Wednesday the temperature was significantly higher and the air was significantly thicker than it was yesterday. What a difference a day makes.

I am certain I have mentioned previously in this space that fall is my favorite time of year. Any time I can get a bonus autumnal day and night - especially when it pops up in the calendar wasteland of early September (still hot enough to be summer but after school's traditional starting date) I embrace it. Yesterday was just such a day. Simply terrific.

Last night I did something I have not done too often in the past several months - I drove home with my car windows open. I am woefully overdue for a haircut so with windows down I am sure I looked quite the mess to drivers in passing vehicles. I cannot tell a lie - I care not at all.

A day like yesterday reminds me that we are in the baseball season's stretch drive. Soon enough - presuming their pitching holds up and their shortstop starts hitting in a manner approximating the back of his baseball card - the Yankees will be playing games when the night air is crisp and cool and the stands are filled with fans wearing sweaters, scarves and wool caps who occasionally bang their hands together just to stay warm against the night's chill.

My kind of weather. My time of year.

-AK

No comments: