Friday, September 17, 2010

A Bargain At Any Price

I have written about it in this space before - and since it does not count as plagiarism when you rip yourself off (do not feel compelled to accept my position on this - ask John Fogerty) - I shall do it again here. One of the things I like the most about participating in the various races in which I have run during the past year (in addition to the t-shirt and the occasional LUNA bar or single-serving size box of cereal) is the endless variety of truly cool and worthy causes for which these events are organized.

Tomorrow Gidg and I shall be among the runners gathered in Lake Como (f/k/a South Belmar) for the Fallen Heroes 5K. This is the 8th Annual Edition of this event. Its purpose? According to the race application, "The proceeds raised from this eventdirectly support the mission of the
FMBA foundation to improve the health and safety of our brothers and sisters and to secure the well-being of the widows and children of our fallen heroes
." Among the worthy causes that the FMBA foundation supports are the St. Barnabas Burn Foundation, the Connecticut Burn Camp, the Make-A-Wish Foundation and the Leukemia Society. In the event that none of those strikes your fancy, there are others as well. The list is intended to be illustrative, not exhaustive.

For a reasonable fee, I get a smart looking t-shirt and unless the weather dude is lying to me a simply gorgeous final Saturday of the summer on which to run a bit at the Shore. Looking at it big picture for a moment, it seems to me as if I am getting - as all of us who are running - quite a bit more from this event than we are giving to it. Considering we are running to assist those who voluntarily run towards Hell while the rest of us run from it as fast as we possibly can, I doubt that the inequity of the transaction is something that bothers them even for a moment.

Me? I call it a bargain.

-AK

No comments: