Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday at the Lake for George

My favorite thing about running - other than being in a position to be humbled on a perpetual basis by both young and old regardless of gender or race - is the fact that it seems to me that on a weekly basis in one town or another across our State of Concrete Gardens, both runners and people who run gather at races to run, to compete and to lend a helping hand. For some reason, getting an ass whooping while engaged in an activity that is doing something for someone else seems OK to me.....as opposed to all of the trouncings I absorbed for no good cause while wrestling in high school.

This morning in the Shore town of Lake Como (not the one where George Clooney has his villa but the other one) there is a 5K race in honor of George McCormack. He was a Lake Como Police Captain who died unexpectedly in 2004. In the years since his death, this has become an annual event. I did not know the man. Hell, until someone explained to me that Lake Como is the town formerly known as South Belmar - sort of like "the artist formerly known as Prince" but without the annoying symbols - I had never heard of the town either. I take on faith that those who knew him knew him to be worthy of an honor such as this race. He died in 2004 and the first edition of this event took place the very next year. And in the several years since, it has been held annually without fail.

Notwithstanding the celebratory luau I foresee taking place in the immediate aftermath of news of my death being broadcast - whenever that fateful moment shall arrive - I have difficulty envisioning someone putting on a similar event in my memory. George McCormack clearly made quite an impression on those who knew him while he was alive. In the years since his death, they have staged an annual event whose purpose is to help fund a scholarship established in his name but whose inspiration is doing for others in his memory as he did for them in his lifetime.

He did the hard part - living his life in a way that others recognized (and continue to recognize) as laudable. All we are being called upon to do this morning is run a few miles in his honor. Talk about your sweetheart deals; right? A morning well spent indeed.

-AK

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice writing, as usual. What do you mean by "trouncings...for no apparent purpose" in those halcyon bygone years?

Adam Kenny said...

Just that what I did to the sport of high-school wrestling should have been outlawed!