Thursday, July 22, 2010

Living Life By The Slice

What a great way to bid adieu to the nighttime portion of the summer's running calendar. My running guru Arnie, my running sidekick Gidg and I each participated in the Downtown Westfield 5K and Pizza Extravaganza last evening. And I must say - from my selfish perspective - that I had one hell of a good time.

Westfield is a town that I had the chance to spend a lot of time in when I was a kid. A number of my friends and classmates lived in Westfield - or in one of the neighboring towns such as Scotch Plains or Cranford. I saw more than my share of movies at the Rialto Theatre and ate a meal or ten at Ferraro's. It is not - however - a place that I have seen very much of at all the past quarter-century or so. Life takes us where it takes us and it has - in fact - taken me places I did not necessarily anticipate going when I was a boy.

It has been a heck of a trip to be sure and note for the record my utter absence of complaints. Nevertheless I could not resist the opportunity to spend a portion of my Wednesday night running through the streets of Westfield. And I am happy I did. While yesterday was a typically hot and humid day for Jersey in late July, it felt as if we got a bit of a respite last night. There was a bit of a breeze and it was not stifling hot. All in all, quite a pleasant night to run.

I do not know how many people entered last night's race. I stopped counting at 3 although there appeared to be quite a few more (at least judging by the six-foot high stacks of empty pizza boxes I saw stacked all over the finish area post-race) contestants than just us. There were countless people who lined the streets as well cheering all of us on. I appreciated the fact that none of them snickered audibly when a dad pushing two sons in one of those high-tech racing strollers blazed past me at or about the 2.5 mile mark. Considering the kids he was pushing appeared to be 9 and 11 respectively, their willingness to mute their laughter was indeed commendable.

All in all, quite a nice way to put the bow on the evening portion of this summer's running program.

-AK

No comments: