Monday, June 14, 2010

Time Out

Yesterday was what we in the Garden State sometimes call a "changeable weather" day. It dawned hot, sunny and steamy but by early afternoon the steam had organized itself into actual precipitation. For a period of an hour or two it rained quite hard, which undoubtedly put the kibosh (to a degree at least) on the party that our next-door neighbors were having in their backyard for their twin daughters to celebrate their graduation from 8th grade.

I took advantage of the somewhat mellow tenor of the day to continue my efforts to undo the damage that the dumb asses from Continental Airlines did to my personal property. On Saturday the Missus and me bought a new watch (as cheap as I could find for the limited purposes I need it) and on Sunday I replaced several other items, including a new pair of sunglasses and a new Camelbak Hydration Pack (it is the "Rogue" model - go figure!) to replace the one that I had purchased in Boulder on the Sunday afternoon prior to the Bolder Boulder. There is nothing quite as annoying as having to buy the same damn thing twice in two weeks' time - unless it is something that you expect using up and having to replace such as beer.

Proving that the good folks who program HBO have a sense of humor, Margaret and I spent the late afternoon/early evening watching Cast Away. The scenes in that movie after Tom Hanks washed up on the shore of his island paradise in which he walked along in the surf retrieving the Fed Ex boxes as they made the beach now represent black humor to me. The plane crashes, four of its five occupants perish and yet the parcels on board survive. Sort of the antithesis of entrusting one's bag to Continental Airlines.

We live and we die by time. And we must not commit the sin of turning our back on time. True I suppose but not as an absolute. Sunday afternoon I had quite an enjoyable time paying little attention to time and doing a whole lot of.....well, nothing. I do not know if I turned my back on time altogether but I did enjoy giving it the side-eye.

Tick Tock. Tick Tock.

-AK

No comments: