Sunday, May 30, 2010

Relative Proximity

A lifetime ago I spent four years as a student at the University of Colorado in Boulder. Boulder is a great town. A college town plus much more. And it is situated about 30-45 minutes southwest of Fort Collins. Fort Collins is the home to Colorado State University. Presently it is Rob's home as well. But for the latter fact I would not be here this weekend.

Monday morning we are going to be in Boulder running in the Bolder Boulder 10K. While I do not know what today's agenda shall consist of, yesterday we spent the entire day in Fort Collins. We spent a large part of the day in a part of town called "Old Town", which hosted an event for abused and neglected children. It was a day of live music, good food, discount beer and more folks with motorcycles than I have ever seen in one place at one time. Rob owns a Harley-Davidson and although he has told me what type it is not less than a dozen times in the past two days (because I have asked at least that many times) I cannot recall what type it is. I know it is orange and black and looks pretty cool.

And I know that while he did not have his at yesterday's shindig, had he ridden it over there it would have been in excellent company - sharing pavement with a couple of hundred of other bikes - most of which seemed to me to also be sporting Harley nameplates.

We spent a terrific day in a beautiful town that for four years I lived within forty-five minutes of and set foot in but once. Life is indeed a journey. You never know the twists and turns it is going to take. And sometimes it takes you 20 years and 2000 miles to get somewhere that was once right around the corner.

-AK

No comments: