Sunday, December 6, 2009

Jingle Bells, Santa and Semolina

As much as I loathe any departure from my regularly-scheduled internal programming, I am voluntarily engaging in some today. As per my usual, the early part (well, early for most normal folks but mid-to-late morning by my factory-installed alarm clock) of my Sunday morning is spent at the A&P. Given our annoying yet understandable tendency to consume our daily bread every day, it is necessary on a weekly basis to restock and to reload. Thus, every Sunday morning Skate transports me up the mountain to our little slice of grocery heaven in search of life's necessities and - more importantly - items for which I have double coupons.

Not this morning. This morning Skate shall transport me not up - but over. We shall take the ride over to Metuchen, which once upon a time was the town that the powers-that-be here 'NTSG wanted us to be when we grew up (a pipe dream not long resigned to the scrap heap of history), to take part in a 5K run. I am not entirely sure but I think that the runners who are among today's participants view a gathering as a race. Me? Considering I have as much likelihood of "winning" anything this morning as I do of being invited to join the College of Cardinals (or the Arizona Cardinals for that matter), I refer to a gathering such as this morning's as a "run".

Apparently a lot - if not all -of these 5K runs that are held all across the country year-round are organized in part to raise funds for worthy causes. Today's event is officially captioned, "2009 Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis", which means that it might just take me as long to say it as will take me to complete it - something that had no chance of happening when I ran last month in the "Turkey Trot". The good folks who organize this event annually anticipate a nice turnout of participants and fans lining the streets of Metuchen, which is a lovely little town here in Middlesex County on what is predicted to be a "seasonal" (weatherspeak for "cold") but precipitation-free morning here in the State of Concrete Gardens. Presumably all of the rain and snow that the Missus and me absorbed while sitting along the banks of the old Rar-i-tan yesterday rooting for the home team against West Virginia (without success I am afraid as the Knights' very own 800 lb gorilla defeated them for the 15th straight year) has passed through the region, leaving in its wake cold, crisp and - thankfully - dry air.

I am not a big fan of change - of upsetting the applecart in which I carry my quirks and hangups. But sometimes it appears as if a change does indeed do some good. Today is one of those days.

I hope the A&P is not too crowded this afternoon. As long as there is at least one loaf of my bread guy's bread left for me to snare, I shall endure wading up and down aisles pockmarked with more fellow shoppers than I typically encounter at 7:00 a.m. on a Sunday. I suppose if it is sold out by the time Skate and I arrive, then I could always buy a different type of bread....

...of course that would represent the day's second change. Two changes in the same day? No one should ever get quite that carried away.

-AK

No comments: