Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Trick Candles Not Included

It is not an exaggeration to say that Margaret is the best thing that ever happened to my life. In fact, not only is she the clear-cut winner but while I know not what occupies the silver medal platform I know that the distance between her and whatever is my #2 makes Secretariat's 1973 Belmont Stakes win look like a photo finish.

It is also not an exaggeration to say that without a point of intersection having occurred between the trajectories of our respective lives, I know not where I would be today. I know however that it would be a damn sight colder and a damn sight darker. I suspect that the view would look eerily similar to that seen from the bottom of an empty vodka bottle.

The soothing thing about my life is that unless and until she throws me out I need not concern myself with such apocalyptic visions. Years ago she took me for better or for worse. Some day I shall have the courage to ask her to assess the ride thus far. Today is not that day.

Today is the day to wish my beautiful wife the happiest of birthdays. She is an anomaly in my experience in that she is a woman who relishes her birthday, who embraces it and who enjoys it. It is not that I have never heard her lie about or misstate her age. I have because she does it constantly. The oddity is that she never lies "down" to a lower number. She has an alarming tendency to round up and to so immediately after her most recent birthday. I suspect that by the time trick-or-treaters appear on our doorstep (and they better have lots of good candy for me to eat) on Saturday, she will have morphed into answering, "I'm almost....." when asked, "How old are you?"

My wish for Margaret on this birthday is the same as it is for her on each and every birthday. I wish simply that she feels as I feel when I see her and when I think of her: Happy.

Having waited as I always do to go shopping, all I have for you on your birthday is the gift of all of my love. Its value may or may not be negligible. At least - all these years later and counting - it is the one gift I have given you that you have not yet attempted to exchange or to turn back for a refund......

....and it does fit you quite well - even if you have noticed (and have learned to forgive) its tendency throughout the years to clash with everything around it.

Happy Birthday Honey - I love you.

-AK

No comments: