Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Apocalypse Now?

While flipping back and forth between the Jets game, the Giants game and the Yankees game on Sunday afternoon I stumbled across a political advertisement for Linda McMahon. She is - or had been until she stepped down to announce her candidacy for the Republican nomination to run against Christopher Dodd for the U.S. Senate seat he presently occupies on behalf of the Nutmeg State - the CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment. She is also, lucky gal she, the wife of Vince McMahon.

Apparently, this is the latest step for her in her "going legit" campaign - having been nominated by Gov. Jodi Rell and approved by a fairly sharply-divided State House of Representatives to a seat on the 11-member State Board of Education earlier this year. The fact that she is one-half of the corporate genius (love 'em or hate 'em, the McMahons have lost more spare change in their couch cushions than most of us will earn in our lifetimes) behind an enterprise whose headquarters is allegedly located at the intersection of Sodom and Gomorrah is of little moment to those involved in her campaign (and presumably those who the WWE hopes will come out in force to vote for her). She has name recognition and, apparently, $30 Million to spend on her campaign.

Whether she has the chops to serve in the U.S. Senate, I know not and since I live here and not there, I will not be among the folks who decide her elective fate. I will say this - if they promise to conduct at least one of the debates as a steel cage match, I will tune in to watch.

If I was Chris Dodd, I would add Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka to my re-election campaign staff. It never hurts to be prepared.

-AK

No comments: