Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hooray for Armageddon!

For me, sports have long provided a welcome diversion from the day-to-day insanity of the real world. In the aftermath of truly awful things happening, I find sports to be soothing and comforting. Sort of like comfort food for the soul.

The past week has been fairly hellacious in my little corner of the world, as it always is for a family in the immediate aftermath of the death of one of its members. We are all doing what we can do to get by and to try to re-connect with our normal activities. It is hard. It is hard in part because it is such a new phenomenon. And it is hard because of the depth and the breadth of what - and who - we have lost.

Life can really depress the hell out of you if you let it. Trust me on this. I know of which I speak. Thankfully, this week, the schedule makers have smiled upon me. A bit of elixir is coming my way in the form of the renewal of hostilities between the Yankees and the Red Sox. Weather permitting, they will begin a three game series at Fenway Park tonight. While thus far this season, the Sox have owned the Yankees, I am looking forward to the games nonetheless. If there is a better rivalry in sports (at least those played in North America), then I am unaware of it. From the Curse of the Bambino to the dreaded "Reverse the Curse" in 2004, these two teams have accrued almost a century's worth of animosity towards one another. And even though they play each other nineteen times a season now, they play each game as if it was the final game any of their players shall ever play - going all out in an effort to win.

The Yankees head into Boston tonight a game ahead of the Sox in the standings and in first place, both of which have unfortunately become somewhat rare occurrences these past couple of seasons. Whether they shall be in the same position at season's end as they are presently I know not. Hell, whether they shall leave Boston on Thursday night in the same position remains to be seen. But it should be fun to watch.

And after the week that was here 'neath the snow globe, it could not have arrived at a better time.

-AK

No comments: