Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Slipping Back Into the Stream

A rather extraordinary thing happened to me yesterday. After having been away for approximately four months from the law firm that has been my professional home for most of my career, I have returned. And while I was in the office on Monday moving back in and doing some work to get a jump start on the work week, yesterday was my first "official" day back. I knew that I was excited to be back and happy to be here but, candidly, I did not foresee at all the warm reception I received from my colleagues. To a person, everyone I saw yesterday seemed genuinely excited to see me and happy to know that when he or she arrives to work this morning that, unlike Elvis, I have not left the building.

It seems like a little thing I am sure - the notion of being settled in one's own mind. But the mind is a powerful thing and if/when it senses a disturbance in the force, its reaction to that disturbance can overwhelm you. It can consume you. Trust me on this folks, I know of which I speak. And when the mind senses calm and harmony in the force, its reaction to that positive mojo is as strong and as powerful. I vaguely recall a song from (I think) the '90's that included the lyric, "Free your mind and the rest will follow" although I could not tell you - even at gunpoint - (a) the name of the song; or (b) the name of the artist/group who sang it. Truer words have never been spoken - or crooned for that matter.

An extraordinary thing happened this morning as well. For the first time in what had been far too long a time, I arose from bed on a second consecutive day excited about the prospect of going to work. I am no Stephanie Zaner, well not yet at least, but I am well on my way.

And it is a damned good feeling, indeed.

-AK

No comments: